Sunday, July 12, 2009

Tell Her I Say Hello

TELL HER I SAY HELLO
a story

I am talking to my friend on Facebook chat. I haven't talked to him in probably 4-6 months. We have a lot to catch up on. I'm typing on a big Mac desktop. I don't know what kind. From the bedroom I hear a sound like coughing. It's actually my girlfriend crying. I leave the computer room. I forget to tell my friend, who has cystic fibrosis, "brb." I feel bad for my friend who has cystic fibrosis.


My girlfriend is crying into a pillow on her bed. Her bed is a futon, I guess. She is cocooned in a white duvet. I don't know why she is crying into a pillow. She sounds very sad from the severity of her crying.


I lie down on top of her body.


"Why are you crying?" I ask.


"I am sad," she says between sobs.


"Oh," I say.


"It isn't your fault," she says.


"Okay," I say.


I go back into the computer room and resume talking to my friend. He is probably confused about why I took a short break from talking.


He tells me about a music festival. I am sad that he will probably die sooner than most of his friends. I wish he could live just as long as anyone.


I hear more sobs break from the bedroom. I go lie down on top of her again.


I say her name repeatedly. I receive no response. I return to the computer room.


This time, I apologize to my friend with cystic fibrosis. He says, "it's ok." I wish we would talk about things besides this music festival. I guess it isn't a big deal that I keep on pausing my involvement in our conversation.


The sound of more sobs. This time they sound more like hiccups. I explain to my friend that my girlfriend is crying in the bedroom, and that I have to go.


"that sucks," he says, "tell her i say hello."


No comments:

Post a Comment